[DeTomaso] 3pt seat belt setups

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Mar 23 12:19:13 EDT 2007

In a message dated 3/23/07 8 58 49, matt.bradley at tx.rr.com writes:

> I haven't looked inside the stock retractor well yet to see what it looks
> like in there.  I'm wondering how a replacement retractor would feed through
> the stock plate.  I'd think you'd have to be able to remove the belt from the
> new retractor, feed it through the stock plate hole, and then back into the
> retractor.  Am I thinking of that right?
>
>>>Doing so would compromise its strength.   What you have to do is feed the
lap belt and buckle through the plate from the inside.   That would be a
challenge with a setup like the one your thinking of, because there's probably no
way to remove the male buckle, and it won't fit through the opening in the
plate.

> >I was thinking about checking out this system (I have tan interior):
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2x8cgu
>

>>>That link kept crashing on my other computer.   Yes, several Mustang
vendors are selling this kit (or ones like it).   I recently received a catalog
from Kanter Auto products (www.kanter.com); in their print catalog they list
three-point belts for $139 each (shown in tan) but it's not yet on their website.
   I suspect the scheme is to actually bolt the inertial reel to the bottom
of the B-post (or the base of the firewall on a Pantera), route the belt up
through the shoulder loop and have the other end of it bolt to the rocker panel
(where the stock inertia reel goes).   That would probably be fairly easy to
implement, and would look good too, plus the inertia reel would be down and out
of the way, behind the seat, so you wouldn't be tripping over it every time
you got into the car.

I suggest you drive down to Dallas Mustang and actually look at these belts,
and see if there is a way to get them into your car.