[DeTomaso] Half shaft issues

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Wed Jun 27 22:35:26 EDT 2007

Last Saturday I installed my new Spicer HD half shafts purchased from PI
Motorsports.  When I was bolting up one side to the ZF, I noticed that the
flange on the U joint that butts up to the axle stub on the ZF was thicker
on one side than the other.  I didn't notice this until I realized that I
couldn't tighten one of the bolts as far down as the one opposite to it.

Two questions:
- Is this likely to cause a balance issue with my half shaft?
- Will the fact that the bolts and the face not at a perfect 90 degree angle
to each other be likely to place any unusual stress on the bolts?

I need to measure the difference in thickness but I can't find my gage.  If
I were to guess, I'd say 1/16 to 3/32.

Thanks in advance.
Mike Thomas
Panteras Northwest