[DeTomaso] Cleveland/Windsor Differences? Was Life Expectancy

William J Bitner wjbitner at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 30 11:16:46 EDT 2007

>Dennis Quella offers his 10qt baffled pan for both Cleveland and Windsor
>blocks.

>Gray

Hi!

        I have Dennis Quella's 10qt baffled pan for my Windsor in alum.
and the pan and baffling is very nice work!   I'm running a 425cu Windsor
at ~500 HP.   I ran my first build for ~10K miles.
My hydraulic throw-out bearing starting leaking (my own fault for not
getting the throw correct!!!).   I figured while I had everything apart,
I'd have the motor gone over.  I had built the first go-around
and decided to let the guys who do it for a living do it this time.
Besides, I now have a son and don't have as much time to play in
the shop.   The shop found a nick in the cam, (custom), and a little
bit of scratching on the crank from me not getting the bearings
just right!  On a stroker the bearings really have to be right on
in clearance.  There are 1/2 sizes and all kinds of things I didn't
know about.  To make a long story short, after a few cams, my rebuilt
Windsor runs better than ever, and its got just over 10k on it
with no signs of trouble (good oil pressure).   As any one who
has ever ridden with me can attest, I'm not easy on the motor.
I'm pretty sure a professionally (proven track record) built Windsor
can go 50K and be driven hard at the 500 HP level.
Art, its definetly worth doing.  Get a ride with some-one that has
it built like this and you'll be sold..  Having lots of torque
when-ever is just plain old fun!  The list has already
mentioned what changes are needed to run a Windsor motor and
I think the list is complete (as far as I can remember!! ;) )

Bill Bitner