[DeTomaso] radiator pipe advice

Lee Farrell lee_farrell at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 12 22:17:16 EDT 2007

I saw on the 72 pre-L car I just bought that the upper radiator pipe had a small leak at the pipe/hose fitting.   The leak had dripped onto the lower pipe, which has a 2x2 inch area that looks at least rusty, and maybe pitted.   I don't know how long the leak was there.  My question is:  is that lower pipe fairly sturdy, so I can just plan to take it out, sand it, paint it, and put it back in?   Or is it more typical to replace the pipe after 35 years anyway?   My preference is to use original parts if possible.

Lee Farrell