[DeTomaso] radiator pipe advice

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jun 13 04:04:25 EDT 2007

In a message dated 6/12/07 19 17 54, lee_farrell at sbcglobal.net writes:

> I saw on the 72 pre-L car I just bought that the upper radiator pipe had a
> small leak at the pipe/hose fitting.   The leak had dripped onto the lower
> pipe, which has a 2x2 inch area that looks at least rusty, and maybe pitted.
> I don't know how long the leak was there.  My question is:  is that lower
> pipe fairly sturdy, so I can just plan to take it out, sand it, paint it, and
> put it back in?   Or is it more typical to replace the pipe after 35 years
> anyway?   My preference is to use original parts if possible.
>

>>>I can't remember if your car has an original radiator not, but if so, it's
very much well past its sell-by date.   If you have those sorts of issues
going on with the outside of the radiator, you have to assume that the internals
are not much better.

That said, I do have a nagging idea that your radiator is not 35 years old,
but rather a reasonably good-quality Hall Pantera replacement.

The thing to do would be to yank it and have it tested by a competent
radiator shop.   If it is an original radiator, I'd have it recored (and make sure
the tanks have been modified per the TSB since yours is a relatively early car).
 If it's an aftermarket radiator, I would definitely have it rebuilt.   I am
not a fan of the Fluidyne radiators, which work well when they work, but have
a known failure percentage that is far too high for my liking.   I also don't
like aluminum radiators in general, simply because they are difficult to have
repaired easily.   Normally when they go bad you just throw them away and buy
a new one.   I am on my third radiator on the Cobra (aluminum because there is
no 'standard' option available easily), and at $650 a whack, that's getting
pretty old...

Due to popular demand, Marino at Pantera East told me he is getting ready to
put a Fluidyne-sized, Fluidyne-priced non-aluminum (i.e. standard material)
radiator on the market soon.   He in particular had a run of bad luck, with
angry customers complaining that their new Fluidynes that they bought from him
fell apart almost immediatly, so he doesn't stock them anymore.