[DeTomaso] Front suspension - Disassembly, Day 1

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Tue Jul 31 00:07:37 EDT 2007

Well, I got the Pantera positioned and in the air for a long stay.  Not
a restoration kind of stay but a while nonetheless.

Thanks to SOBills wise tutelage, I removed the lower ball joint from the
lower a-arm and the shock came right out.  Mind you I -did- take the
brake caliper off first.  I then unbolted the sway bar from both ends
which allowed the drivers side to swing freely.

Initial appraisal of the drivers side:
- Lower bushings seem to be tight, no clunking, and plenty of rubbery
resistance through the range of motion.
- Upper bushing seem to be okay as well, similar feel and reactions.
- Lower ball joint:  I can position the lower ball in just the right
spot that I get a dry metal-to-metal clunk, I think it needs replacing.
- Upper ball joint still has the front spindle hanging from it so it's
harder for me to tell.  But I -can- tell you the boot is -shot-.

So, at the very least, I'm in for new ball joints.  And as I'm in here,
I'm still considering doing the bushings, but I'll wait till I have it
all apart first.  I'm not doing any restorations just yet, simply
keeping it on the road. :)

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie