[DeTomaso] [resend]  Shock removal

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Jul 29 21:24:46 EDT 2007

In a message dated 7/29/07 17 37 22, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> You bring up a good point Mike.  While under the car doing a general
> inspection, I noted my steering rack rebuild is leaking quite
> profusely.  The first problem is that the passenger side boot has worn
> itself a hole near the clamp.
>
>>>Yet another reason to use grease instead of oil, as Ferrari does (using
the same rack).

>  Second problem is that the pinion seal
> needs to be replaced (something Larry Stock didn't have on the truck
> that weekend we rebuilt it at Roger's place).
>
>>>Again, not a factor when grease is the chosen lube.

>   And it looks like the
> opposite cover is probably leaking too.  Argh, I guess that's what I get
> for jacking the car up. :)

since apparently you're changing all the ball joints?), it's a fairly simple
procedure to open it up, clean it out, replace the oil with the appropriate
grease (CRC engine assembly lube, 0-1/2 weight, comes in a black tube, available in
tiny tubes at most auto parts stores, and mongo-sized tubes at some of them),
then put it all back together.

> I made note of your comments about the steering u-joints.  They did seem
> to be in good shape, but now with the car in the air I can do a proper
> inspection on both the inside ones and the outside ones.  Thanks for the
> tip.
>
>>>Have Shelly very, very gently wiggle the steering wheel from side to side,
while you are under the car, and examine the bottom U-joint.   On my car,
upstream rotation initially was seen as a twist/bend in the U-joint itself,
before it locked up and then transmitted the rotation downstream.   The U-joint was
also rattling-loose on the splined shaft because the bolt which had been used
to secure it, was totally stripped.   You should be able to see unwanted
movement of the U-joint inside the car yourself, by kneeling outside the car,
peering under the dash and gently wiggling the wheel.