[DeTomaso] Fuel Pump Question

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 14 01:45:13 EDT 2007

Art,

       I think mechanical pumps have some kind of spring on the diaghram to limit the pressure out of the pump.  Normally, I think that pressure is what you see with the fuel pressure gauge.  As long as the pump has excess capacity, the float bowls should be full, and the pressure should not drop.  If the pump falls behind, then it's pumping as much as it can, the internal pressure control does nothing, and I think the pressure will drop below the pump's design pressure.

        I'm sure someone else can explain this a lot better than I can, but I think this is the basic operation.

  Ken

Art Stephens <artstephens at charter.net> wrote:
  Thank you Doug and Jack for the explanation. I think I got the going
lean part. Hypothetical situation, I have my car on a chassis dyno running
wide open for a few seconds. Fuel pressure does not drop. That would not
necessarily mean that I'm not at risk of going lean, would it? If I am
using fuel faster than the system is providing it, could my gauge still be
showing full pressure until the bowl actually empties? I'm a little
concerned about getting a false sense of security by watching the gauge for
the brief time the car is wide open on the dyno.

Art