[DeTomaso] Fuel Pump Question

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Jul 14 00:13:43 EDT 2007

In a message dated 7/13/07 6:53:03 PM, artstephens at charter.net writes:

> If I am
> using fuel faster than the system is providing it,  could my gauge still be
> showing full pressure until the bowl actually empties?

Absolutely.   Pressure and volume normally have an inverse relationship.   A
pump pushing against a restrictive pipe will generate a higher pressure, but a
lower volume, than the same pump trying to move fluid through a
larger-diameter pipe, which would have less resistance, and thus lower pressure, but higher
volume.   You could put a cork in your fuel line, and have high pressure and
zero volume.

And your carburetor runs out of volume, not pressure.

The ambition is to have a pump that is capable of generating adequate
pressure while delivering the appropriate volume.   Excessively high pressure
overpowers the internals in the carburetor, which is why the goal is normally 6 psi
or so for Holley-type carbs, and lower (3-4 psi?   I think?) for Webers.