[DeTomaso] Seat Tracks and dope

SOBill at aol.com SOBill at aol.com
Sat Dec 29 12:48:44 EST 2007

Will,

Here's what I know about replacing seat rollers:

Remove the seats.
Flip them over and force each rail to the end of it's  travel.
Pry out the old roller from one end.
Move the rails to the other end of the travel.
Pry the second old roller out.

Make four new rollers from aluminum, brass, polyurethane, or nylon  1 inch
round stock with a width to suit the rails.
Drill a 3/8 inch hole thru the center of the side of each  roller.
Get 4 fairly soft compression springs of approximately 3/8 x 1 1/8  from the
local hardware store.
Put a spring in each roller center hole.
Compress the springs and insert the rollers in the  rails.

Reinstall the seats.

Refinements:

My OEM rails were coated with grease which had turned to glue  over 30 years.
I cleaned off the glue and reassembled the rails without  grease. I don't
thing the rails will wear out from sliding.

You may want to custom fit the diameters of the rollers to suit  each rail.
The rails are not fabricated with high precision. 1 inch rollers  worked OK in
my rails.

The absolute size of the hole in the rollers is not critical  but the spring
diameter needs to match the hole you drill. The purpose of the  spring allows
the roller to roll and slide easily in the track, yet keeps  the roller from
rattling around.

Have fun,

SOBill  Taylor
sobill at aol.com