[DeTomaso] Clutch MC

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Dec 25 03:19:09 EST 2007

In a message dated 12/24/07 23 40 46, JDeRyke at aol.com writes:

> Yup. The service manual (Bulletin 10, Article 88) says there should be
> 3.07-3.09" from the rounded end of the pushrod (that goes into the clutch
> master) to
> the centerline of the clevis-pin hole, which is why I do NOT recommend doing
> it Mike's way; its hard enough measuring the adjustment when everything's
> out
> in front of you.

Well, first of all, it's not 'my' way; it's actually Steve Wilkinson's and
Dennis Quella's way.   They just told me about it at various times over the
years.

The ONLY thing that the adjustment does is set the height of the clutch
pedal.   So the number from the TSB is just a ballpark figure to get you in the
proper neighborhood.   If your new master is identical to your old one, there
will be no change in clutch pedal height using their technique of just keeping
the old rod and installing it in the new master.

If, as in Stephen's case, you have to change the rod along with the master
cylinder, it's a simple matter to mark the old rod before you remove it, then
set it alongside the new rod and mark it in a similar location, then assemble
everything to the same spec.   You might wind up making a very slight tweak from
that point, once everything is put together, but initially it will certainly
be close to what it was before you took everything apart.

Mike (work smarter not harder....there are enough difficulties in this job as
it is!)