[DeTomaso] TIG welder

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Aug 24 14:44:02 EDT 2007

IMHO, buying a small-anything tool is foolish. I can't tell you haw many
times I bought some tool and the next job that came up, it was too small, making
me either overstress the tool, redesign or alter it, or do without the mod I
needed. So 20 yrs ago, I started buying tools bigger than I needed at the time.
Example- my birthday present to myself one year was a 300/300 Lincoln TIG
welder that also doubles as a stick welder. '300' denotes the max continuous
amperage that can be used either AC or DC. And yes- I have used the max amps in
aluminum welding; you have no idea how much heat and current an aluminum
cylinder head soaks up until you try welding up a dropped valve seat in a 6" thick
head! 300 amps pulls 87 amps @230VAC so requires 100 amp service @ 230-VAC to
your shop. 150 ft of 00 cables necessary to hook mine up to our house was a
significant cost, even though I did all the wiring, trenching and hookups.
Second note- a big welder costs more than a small one and is less portable
(mine weighs over 600 lbs due to its copper-core transformer rather than the
cheaper aluminum core units), but both big & little welders need an argon gas
cylinder, a good flow regulator, hoses, torch handles- if you decide on a water
cooled TIG torch, a water flow regulator and dependable water supply & drain
lines in your garage. Water cooled torches are smaller, lighter & more
maneuverable than air cooled ones. I found it's clumsy welding with thick gloves 'cause
an air cooled handle quickly gets so hot it blisters my hand! Stick welder
cables and handles are also needed. All these accessories can run up $1000 or
more over the cost of the welder itself. Food for thought- cheap tools are
really not bargains. Economize on your lunches! FWIW- J DeRyke
<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at
http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>