[DeTomaso] Overheating?

Michael Shortt michaelsavga at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 10:38:04 EDT 2007

Turning on the heater is a good first step because the heater core offers a
more surface area to cool the fluids, I'd turn off the A/C for sure.  If you
have electric fans I can't see a reason to rev the engine because more revs
means more heat and while the water pump would spin faster the fluids trip
through the radiator would be faster and thus have less ability to transfer
heat, I think we all know that a radiator is nothing more than a giant heat
sink.
As far as the gearing, I have no idea, I would think the highest possible
gear should be used so that there are the fewest revs, i.e, fewer explosions
and therefore less heat being generated.

I think if I was in the same situation and it was making me really sweat (
no pun intended ) I'll pull over, replacing head gaskets are a real bitch!

That's just a layman's theory, I'm sure the engineers will chime in.

Michael in Savannah.