[DeTomaso] Exhaust "Popping"

Dan Courtney dfcex at pacbell.net
Wed Apr 25 09:52:03 EDT 2007

The popping DID stop with the new gaskets. Turns out the guy who installed
my engine used 2bbl gaskets AND they were all blown out from loose bolts (?)
Also, the fuel pressure regulator was set to 3.5 psi.
Now I just have a backfire after hard decelaration EXACTLY when I touch the
gas pedal again. Any ideas on that? Too rich? A leak elsewhere in the
exhaust system?
It looks like I'll at least get The Winged Warrior out to Vegas but no such
luck for "The Beast". The engine shop gave me an assembled short block
around 7PM but it was missing some parts. We worked on the WW until 5 AM
anyway so it would have been overwhelming to try completing the block
assembly, adjusting the valves and installing the engine. Plus I'm not
certain they set the cam timing correct. They swapped out a 3 position
timing chain set for my adjustable belt drive and without installing any
rockers I don't know how they could have correctly set the cam timing /
valve to piston clearance.
A few years back I would have run with it and hit the track but I've had too
many engines blow this past year.
I'll just have to settle for some mellow laps in the WW (hopefully).
Dan

Dan F. Courtney

Excalibur Commercial Real Estate Services
La Jolla, CA

Phone (858) 551-5455
Fax (858) 551-5456