[DeTomaso] Exhaust "Popping"

Donny Williams Donnylee at ccwebster.net
Wed Apr 25 11:00:04 EDT 2007

I would check you collector gaskets next....

I will be honest with you.... I am not getting alot of confidence from this
builder you have.  Sounds to me like they just handed you a completed short
block and maybe threw your heads back on.  You cannot check piston to valve
without the heads or as you know the Rockers your using!   If they did not
index your cam, they probably threw it in "Straight up for you"  Afterall,
its adjustable so they must be leaving that adjustment up to you.  Did you
go with a new Cam or use the old one?   A new different grind "Could"
require a different pushrod length.....

If you had a good builder this stuff would not be being discussed here, and
they would have provided you back some "Spec Paperwork" on the entire build
and setup.  I am keeping my fingers crossed for you, that these guys are
better then I fear they our.....

We have one good builder in Portland (Precision) owners is Craig.   If you
walk into a shop and you do not see race engines, Boat engines, all in a row
with superchargers on the shelf that is a pretty good indication that a
builders specialty is primarily production 350 street use Chevys......and
that is when you run away!

Do not let these guys touch that 421 Poncho you have..... There are special
boring plates you need to make sure they have.....And Poncho's have lots of
little tricks to then with Valve angles the Chevy builder knows nothing
about!  Ask me, I had a Chevy Builder screw up a RAM AIR 3 for me several
years ago.... Its cheaper to pay more to a Pro with history, then it is to
have something rebuilt twice by a Larry Duane shop!

Donny