[DeTomaso] Alignment specs on '72 pre-L?

Göran Malmberg hemipanter at hemipanter.se
Tue Apr 17 16:01:56 EDT 2007

> Toe-in settings are a black art to me.  Maybe some others could chime in
> on
> that.

I dont know if I can bring any enlightening information here, but Ill give
it a try.
The front tires is supposed to roll in the direction of of the car, either
straight
ahead or in steering direction. What I mean with "rolling in the direction"
is that
the tires should do so without any "scrubbing" against the pavement. In
straight
ahead driving the tires should therfore be in a parallell possition. Now, if
scrub
distance is large, this will course a bending force in toe out direction,
making it
nessesary to use static toe in setting. So, the larger the scrub distance
the greater
the static toe in setting. This is especially true for braking stability, as
bending force
over the scrub-arm get very big.

During cornering, the outer more loaded  wheel get a larger slip-angle,
making it
nessesary to be turned a little more to roll in the same direction as the
inner wheel.
At normal cornering speed both wheel is mostley rolling without any "slip"
so
Ackermann should handle the "toe out" needed.

Another situation very much talked about is "turne in" feeling. That is to
use moore
toe out for a quicker steering responce. I think we should forget about this
setting
for street use, as the backside under all other driving condition will
suffer from this.

Goran Malmberg