[DeTomaso] Sv.: Re: Headlight issue

Larry Stock larrys at panteraparts.com
Mon May 20 13:32:53 EDT 2024

It is just easier to remove the Radiator first. I have done this every which way. You don't need to raise the headlights first either. Once the radiator is out of the way removal and replacement of the gear assembly is easy. The headlight motor is much easier to do theu the front wheel well, but it's typically the Plastic gear that splits and jams in the housing that is the problem.
Larry

On 5/20/24, 8:59 AM, "DeTomaso on behalf of Cristiano Rossi via DeTomaso" <detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com <mailto:detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com> on behalf of detomaso at server.detomasolist.com <mailto:detomaso at server.detomasolist.com>> wrote:

Dear all

I need to replace the plastic gear for my headlights, and I have the
following questions:

- According to TSB article 116, the first thing to do is to raise the
headlamps. Is this necessary? The headlights are stuck in closed
position, and it will probably not be easy to raise them. The manual
knob does not turn, probably due to the broken plastic gear.

- To remove the 3 bolts retaining the headlight motor is easy for the 2
bolts forward of the radiator. The one rear of the radiator is very
difficult for me to reach. Is this because the headlights are down,
blocking the access, or must the third bolt be reached from underneath
the car, after removing the left front wheel?

- Will I have to loosen the radiator bolts and move the radiator?

- It seems to me that it will be difficult to remove the 2 bolts
retaining the forward limiter switch, they are SO tiny, isnat it likely
that they will break or not come off?

- I guess that when I have loosened everything needed, I must then pull
out the headlight motor/gear assembly through the front wheel well,
correct?

- Are there any tricks to install the bronze gear or is this easy to
do, and are there other things I should be aware of?

Thank you in advance for any feedback. I normally donat do such work,
and I would possibly like to avoid making mistakes :-)

Cristiano Rossi

thpnma02869
[1]Sendt fra Yahoo Mail til iPhone

Den torsdag, september 21, 2023, 20:29 skrev Mike Drew via DeTomaso