[DeTomaso] Glue on mirror

Mark Charlton pantera at homecharlton.ca
Tue Jun 25 09:22:05 EDT 2024

Hi Guys,

I’m also solidly in the “no-destruction” camp.

I would make a smooth base plate that can conform properly to the glass, secure that plate to the mirror with epoxy AND countersunk fasteners and then us the new, smooth surface on the mirror to mount it to the side window using FULL COVERAGE of black 3M VHB automotive tape. It needs 24 hours for full bonding, but initial grip is extremely strong regardless. I then cut a triangle of black vinyl which I apply on the inside of the glass to hide the back of the tape/bracket.

Good luck!

Mark Charlton
pantera at homecharlton.ca

> On Jun 25, 2024, at 8:40 AM, Mike Drew via DeTomaso <detomaso at server.detomasolist.com> wrote:
>
> All,
>
> I’m in favor of any plan that doesn’t harm the glass. Michael’s plan may have merit assuming there was a means to restore them in the future.
>
> The one I have that was all scratched up had a mirror glued on with a wild type of black glue that refuses to give up. The mirror broke off leaving the base stuck. I spent some time with a hacksaw trying to carefully cut it off, and gave up about halfway through as the guy who said he wanted the glass changed his mind.
>
> It was hard work!
>
> Mike
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jun 25, 2024, at 05:09, michael frazier <red3644 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Two of my Panteras had the Omni mirrors attached with what appeared to be a thin layer of J-B weld or something similar. They never failed and I was able to VERY carefully remove them for a restoration. The glass was not scratched.  I’d go with some like type of adhesive and a careful cleaning/degreasing first.
>> Michael
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Jun 24, 2024, at 11:49 PM, Scott Mead <scott at scottmeadphotography.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>    I highly recommend 3M Scotch-Weld 2216 epoxy adhesive. It's the same
>>> stuff they use on Apache helicopters. I used it to re-adhere the
>>> outside mirror on my Pantera (no glass etching required), and was
>>> tested to 130 MPH several times. Now if I ever want to get it off,
>>> well, let's not go there.
>>>
>>> Get [1]Outlook for iOS
>>>   __________________________________________________________________

>>> FoJNQLsSZO-Lp4JO1VlfGnrH38&m=DZBUkZtqnaCHMr3gWnDTIZMUUoAuh-MP6lkgMm4lEy
>>> 5RqtQ7ZgiEQQDaRhj6Uz-d&s=Hl2aQ6ZAmlv61rlam-Al1k6L0-QF3euEh0qI2kqisx0&e=
>>>>

>>> <[3]https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__image1.jpeg&d=D
>>> wIGaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=mxm2g1hl9awD5Ei_9
>>> FoJNQLsSZO-Lp4JO1VlfGnrH38&m=DZBUkZtqnaCHMr3gWnDTIZMUUoAuh-MP6lkgMm4lEy
>>> 5RqtQ7ZgiEQQDaRhj6Uz-d&s=unzP3OuYstB2GMEPtGtmpri6hQEfaGDk6TdBqB-YBgQ&e=

>>> [4]https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__server.detomasol
>>> ist.com_mailman_listinfo_detomaso&d=DwIGaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqO
>>> f-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=mxm2g1hl9awD5Ei_9FoJNQLsSZO-Lp4JO1VlfGnrH38&m=DZBUk
>>> ZtqnaCHMr3gWnDTIZMUUoAuh-MP6lkgMm4lEy5RqtQ7ZgiEQQDaRhj6Uz-d&s=4MMO28NUz

>>> 3. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__image1.jpeg&d=DwIGaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=mxm2g1hl9awD5Ei_9FoJNQLsSZO-Lp4JO1VlfGnrH38&m=DZBUkZtqnaCHMr3gWnDTIZMUUoAuh-MP6lkgMm4lEy5RqtQ7ZgiEQQDaRhj6Uz-d&s=unzP3OuYstB2GMEPtGtmpri6hQEfaGDk6TdBqB-YBgQ&e=
>>> 4. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__server.detomasolist.com_mailman_listinfo_detomaso&d=DwIGaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=mxm2g1hl9awD5Ei_9FoJNQLsSZO-Lp4JO1VlfGnrH38&m=DZBUkZtqnaCHMr3gWnDTIZMUUoAuh-MP6lkgMm4lEy5RqtQ7ZgiEQQDaRhj6Uz-d&s=4MMO28NUzLKG0drErPvTw0DYTHF4LuEwOgH-YTYr9h0&e=
>>> 5. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__server.detomasolist.com_mailman_listinfo_detomaso&d=DwIGaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=mxm2g1hl9awD5Ei_9FoJNQLsSZO-Lp4JO1VlfGnrH38&m=DZBUkZtqnaCHMr3gWnDTIZMUUoAuh-MP6lkgMm4lEy5RqtQ7ZgiEQQDaRhj6Uz-d&s=4MMO28NUzLKG0drErPvTw0DYTHF4LuEwOgH-YTYr9h0&e=
>>>
>>> To manage your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe, etc.) use the links above.
>>>
>>> Members who post to this list grant license to the list to forward any message posted here to all past, current, or future members of the list. They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an archive or approve the archiving of list messages.

>> Members who post to this list grant license to the list to forward any message posted here to all past, current, or future members of the list. They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an archive or approve the archiving of list messages.

   Hi Guys,

   I'm also solidly in the "no-destruction" camp.

   I would make a smooth base plate that can conform properly to the
   glass, secure that plate to the mirror with epoxy AND countersunk
   fasteners and then us the new, smooth surface on the mirror to mount it
   to the side window using FULL COVERAGE of black 3M VHB automotive tape.
   It needs 24 hours for full bonding, but initial grip is extremely
   strong regardless. I then cut a triangle of black vinyl which I apply
   on the inside of the glass to hide the back of the tape/bracket.

   Good luck!
   Mark Charlton

     sol
     ist.com_mailman_listinfo_detomaso&d=DwIGaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXr
     wqO
     f-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=mxm2g1hl9awD5Ei_9FoJNQLsSZO-Lp4JO1VlfGnrH38&m=DZ
     BUk
     ZtqnaCHMr3gWnDTIZMUUoAuh-MP6lkgMm4lEy5RqtQ7ZgiEQQDaRhj6Uz-d&s=4MMO28
     NUz
     LKG0drErPvTw0DYTHF4LuEwOgH-YTYr9h0&e=
     etc.)
     use the links above.