[DeTomaso] Centerforce clutch

Mike Drew mikeldrew at aol.com
Mon Jul 15 19:06:48 EDT 2024

Jeff,

The Centerforce street clutch is among the lightest I’ve ever felt.

I find it offensive that they choose to use a different bolt pattern which mandates the purchase of their (obscenely expensive) matching flywheel, or requires redrilling your flywheel.  If that isn’t done perfectly the car will shake like a wet dog.

I am also not a fan of their gimmick counterweights, which probably don’t really do anything, but are very destructive when they fail. (The Adlers had a catastrophic failure on Whiplash years ago, which destroyed the bellhousing and badly damaged the decklid)

I think the McLeod diaphragm clutch is a bit heavier than a Centerforce but lighter than a comparable three-finger clutch.

Much of your clutch pedal force might be down to an excessively stiff slave cylinder return spring, or bound up bearings for the clutch fork. Disengage everything and test to make sure you aren’t barking up the wrong tree….

Mike

Sent from my iPad