[DeTomaso] Overheating problem

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 17:32:01 EDT 2024

> SVO heads are far more efficient and probably need no more than 28-32
degrees total advance (not including vacuum advance)

As cast, the SVO high port family (A3, B351, C3/C302/C302B) have exactly
the same combustion chamber shape as closed chamber iron 4V heads.  They
are aluminum so can tolerate a bit more advance but may not benefit from
it.  The bigger effect I see is with stroker engines.  An iron 4V headed
351C may make best power on 34 to 36 degrees total timing.  At 408 cubic
inches, with the same heads, that may drop to 28 to 30 degrees.  Smaller
port heads with the latest combustion chamber shapes don't seem to be as
strongly affected by displacement.  The 351C dyno mule made the best power
with iron 4V heads at 36 degrees.  With the TFS 195cc 2V heads, it made
best power at 28 degrees.  On a 408C, the TFS were best at 26 degrees.
With stock displacement, iron open chamber 4V heads need a bunch more
timing (40+ degrees) and respond well to multi-strike ignitions.  I've
never tested them on a 408C stroker but I'd expect them to need less
timing.  With iron 4V heads, I think it's a case of overly large ports and
valves that become more efficient with more displacement.

Dan Jones

On Mon, Jul 15, 2024 at 3:33 PM Mike Drew via DeTomaso <

-------------- next part --------------
   > SVO heads are far more efficient and probably need no more than 28-32
   degrees total advance (not including vacuum advance)
   As cast, the SVO high port family (A3, B351, C3/C302/C302B) have
   exactly the same combustion chamber shape as closed chamber iron 4V
   heads.A  They are aluminum so can tolerate a bit more advance but may
   not benefit from it.A  The bigger effect I see is with stroker
   engines.A  An iron 4V headed 351C may make best power on 34 to 36
   degrees total timing.A  At 408 cubic inches, with the same heads, that
   may drop to 28 to 30 degrees.A  Smaller port heads with the latest
   combustion chamber shapes don't seem to be as strongly affected by
   displacement.A  The 351C dyno mule made the best power with iron 4V
   heads at 36 degrees.A  With the TFS 195cc 2V heads, it made best power
   at 28 degrees.A  On a 408C, the TFS were best at 26 degrees.A  With
   stock displacement, iron open chamber 4V heads need a bunch more timing
   (40+ degrees) and respond well to multi-strike ignitions.A  I've never
   tested them on a 408C stroker but I'd expect them to need less
   timing.A  With iron 4V heads, I think it's a case of overly large ports
   and valves that become more efficient with more displacement.
   Dan Jones

   On Mon, Jul 15, 2024 at 3:33a-PM Mike Drew via DeTomaso

     Larry,
     SVO heads are far more efficient and probably need no more than
     28-32 degrees total advance (not including vacuum advance).
     At least thatas what Iave been told by people who actually know this
     stuff. I donat pretend to myself, I just remember what Iave been
     taught.
     And admit I could be wronga|but I donat think I am!

     <[3]detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com
     <mailto:[4]detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com> on behalf of
     [5]georgesekula at outlook.com <mailto:[6]georgesekula at outlook.com>>

     <mailto:[10]georgesekula at outlook.com> <[11]georgesekula at outlook.com