[DeTomaso] NPC but interesting, huge lithium deposit found in US

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 6 15:44:16 EDT 2024

Julian,

    Is this the "solid state" you are referring to:

https://interestingengineering.com/innovation/worlds-1st-anode-free-solid-state-battery

Interesting, I hope someone in the US gets the patents and doesn't sell to China.

Ken

On Saturday, July 6, 2024 at 09:46:41 AM PDT, Julian Kift <julian_kift at hotmail.com> wrote:

  Ken,

  Lithium is a very abundant element, mostly recovered from brines e.g.
  the Salton Sea in CA is a large sources, Chile & Argentina also have
  large reserves. But Lithium is only a small percentage of current
  battery chemistry and Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP) batteries are not
  economically recyclable yet as a regenerative source of lithium.

  The big battery manufacturers are all partnered with US OEM's and
  setting up production in the US with government funding. However, the
  EPA has such stringent conditions on handling mixed metal oxides, most
  of the recyclable materials will likely be forced back off shore for
  processing, thereby creating a constant reliance on other countries for
  battery materials.

  I do believe current battery chemistry will change to solid state and
  lithium will likely become redundant.

  Julian