[DeTomaso] Hall 15" Ultra 15x10.5" and 12.5" Wheels on BaT

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Wed Jan 31 16:49:32 EST 2024

 For once I fully agree with Mike Drew. Hall Ultra wheels from the '90s are lightweight 3-piece RACING wheels apparently designed for a 1500 lb formula car. Racers that use 3-piece wheels scrap them on a set time schedule ala IMSA. On a 3300 lb Pantera they are seriously overloaded from the start so the rims WILL crack over time.
Hall no longer sells these wheels & the one-man shop that made the inners and outers for Gary passed away decades ago, as did Mr Hall. There are no NOS replacements and the unknown aluminum alloy used has proven not weldable. The fragile spun rims are a custom size to fit Hall's own small OD centers so other similar spun-wheel-halves won't bolt on.
It's possible to find a wheel shop that does custom work and will reproduce an inner or outer rim to match but it will not be at Hall's old price! For any Ultra wheels still in service, I recommend expert yearly X-ray checking; do not EVER curb these wheels or go off-road! I once worked on a car that had new-appearing Ultra wheels mounted, and a year later the owner had a rear inner-half crack horizontally under the tire bead, some 300 miles from home. Looong flatbed truck ride. My 2 cents- Jack