[DeTomaso] Sad news about Pandora & my planned attendance at the Fun Rally

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Tue Jun 6 11:58:49 EDT 2023

Chris, FWIW I and a few other guys dispense with the troublesome idler system entirely. The compressor hold- down bolt holes in the mount are already slotted so there are 2 simple steps to this mod:
1- loosen the bolts enough to slide the entire compressor back & forth to adjust belt tightness. All that remains is to make sure the pullies are adjusted parallel so you don't throw a belt at high rpm
2- get a different, shorter belt. Its length will vary depending on what compressor & pullies you have.
Note 1- To get the belt length you now need, center the compressor in the slots, then cut an old vee belt to fit your pullies exactly. Take the cut belt to NAPA  Auto Parts to match it up. NAPA in our area sells vee belts in variable lengths by 1/16" so if you guess wrong the first time, take the unused belt back & exchange it. In any case, they're dirt cheap.

Note 2- Unless the weather gods change their mind (which they do daily in N Nevada), you're more likely to need a sweatshirt than A/C this weekend! And don't think that just because your Pantera isn't quite ready, that people will not speak to you if you drive another brand to Reno. Thats no excuse! I've been to several Fun Rallies in our Toyota 4Runner and Judy's Z-28, and still had fun.