[DeTomaso] Transaxle leaks, won't go into gear now

Konrad Szwab kszwab at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 20:23:54 EDT 2023

Soooo, it has been sitting for about 3 months now, dripping slowly from the
bottom of the transaxle.

Yesterday I was planning to take it to the mechanic and show it off to my
girlfriend in the process and, of course, an Elvis moment ensured (the car
is yellow, after all)

If the engine is on, it won't go into gear. Reverse grinds, so I won't
force it and 1st does not go into gear at all. With the engine off, it goes
into gears.

Felt like I wanted to shoot it, so to take my mind off of it, I had my
girlfriend shift the gears while I was watching the clutch slave cylinder.
Seems to move normally, but probably just not enough to disengage
completely.

It is NOT low on fluid in the reservoirs in the front (both brake and
clutch).

Nothing looks shifted or loose.

Clutch feels normal, not spongy.

Could it be so low in the transaxle that somehow that causes it ?

Links to pics below.

I guess Monday I will have it towed to the mechanic.

https://imgur.com/LMHEkBt

https://imgur.com/a/EgqFath

https://imgur.com/a/2Lped6R