[DeTomaso] ***SPAM*** Removing Pilot Bearing - Partial Victory and Update - pics

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Wed Jul 26 02:37:14 EDT 2023

All,

I have brainstormed a method that is untried, but seems plausible, and only requires some one eighth inch metal bar stock, a tap and die, and a corresponding bolt.

This approach WILL require a certain amount of full diameter crank snout space behind the depth of the stubborn outer race. From personal experience and Mike’s photos, I think there is sufficient depth available.

The OD of the bearing is approximately 1 3/8”. Get some cardboard/posterboard and lay out and cut a circle of that diameter. Shave two opposite sides of the circle so the center remaining section is narrow enough to fit within the outer race. Trial and error will find a width sweet spot that allows the poster board to drop into the crank snout void behind the outer race, lay flat, and be pulled up against the rear edge of the race. If the available space is just a little bit shy, you could bevel the leading edge to gain a little more depth.

Transfer to 1/8 inch bar stock, drill and tap for suitable size bolt and pop out the race.

What else are you going to do until the cape chisel is delivered?

Larry

P.S. - today I learned what a cape chisel is, thanks.