[DeTomaso] PDK

Corey Price coreyjprice at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 18:13:45 EDT 2023

I understand from a mechanical perspective that adding a second rotating
gear shaft adds rotational mass. I think the point of a DCT is to make
shifting much faster. There's a basket with clutches in it that alternates
from no load to shaft 1 or shaft 2, making gear changes super fast. Yes,
it's heavy, but keeping power to the wheels with smaller breaks between for
shifting is what I see the designers and engineers doing.

I will lament that most modern production cars are heavy now, and I'm not
talking about boutique cars like the Gordon Murray T50. I'm talking
Corvettes that weigh 3600 lbs, Mustangs and Camaros that weigh 3700 lbs and
some that tip the scales at 4000 lbs. The biggest exception in my mind is a
Porsche 911 Carerra that you can get in the "T" form with a manual
transmission that is about 3250 lbs.

On the subject of putting one in a Pantera, I'm sure it can be done but it
would require a complete redesign of the rear suspension, frame, etc. After
that, you need a powertrain control module adapted to both engine and DCT
transaxle

Corey

[...]
   On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 3:52a-PM David Antognini