[DeTomaso] alternate transaxle

Steve Lisa stevelisa at patentit.com
Thu Oct 27 16:28:24 EDT 2022

All,

Yes, that is my Pantera with the Quaife.

The installation was fairly straightforward in the inverted format.  The
trans worked great at Road America but for the fact that we underfilled it
because the fill hole was lower in the inverted format.  So, at Road
America, it overheated (or at least we thought it did).   When we got back
to Phoenix, we pulled it apart and found that Quaife had made a mistake
when they cut the gears for the inverted format.  They inverted/reversed
the cut of the helix properly, but had neglected to reverse the "drive" and
"coast" sides of the cut for the teeth.  So, in effect, we were driving on
the "coast" side of the CWP.  After pointing that out to Quaife, which
frankly they were surprised to see, they have agreed to fix it with the
proper/corrected cut to the CWP teeth. I am not sure when it will be
available, but soon

In the meantime, we have reassembled the gearbox and adjusted the
clearances to run better on the coast side (as you would for a 4-wheel
drive front axle).  We also added an external electric oil pump and oil
cooler.  We tested last week before we head to Daytona with the Pantera for
the HSR Classic 24 and sprint races.  [We are racing the Pantera in the
sprint races (not the 24-hour) -- unless the Panoz breaks, at which point
the Pantera will be swapped to start the 24-hour from the rear.]  Oil temps
were under 180 and the trans shifted beautifully.  We are hopeful that we
make it through the Daytona weekend without issues, and that the
replacement CWP with the proper cut are available shortly thereafter.

If in fact Quaife gets the act together on the replacement CWP, I can say
the gearbox shifts beautifully and is a work of art.  For me, the decision
was simple to not blow up the original matching ZF and motor combo, which
are not sitting together on a shelf for whomever buys this car when I am
gone.  We have very much approached this Quaife install as an engineering
experiment because I had it sitting in my shop for my GT40 racecar.  I have
so enjoyed racing the Pantera that I will assemble and sell the GT40 - so I
put a Getrag in the GT40 and moved the Quaife to the Pantera. With the
exchange rate, it is not horribly expensive.

I will update the group in a few weeks after Daytona.  Fingers crossed.

If anyone is interested, we can provide all the details on the install.

Regards,

Steven G. Lisa, Esq.
The Law Offices of Lisa & Lesko, LLC
Email: SteveLisa at PatentIt.com
Direct: 480-442-0297

www.PatentIt.com

Scottsdale Office | P: 480.535.6656  |  F: 480.535.6628  |  A: 7689 East
Paradise Lane, Suite 2, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Chicago Office | P: 312.752.4357  |  F: 312.896.5633  |  A: 55 E. Monroe
Street, Suite 3800, Chicago, IL 60603

This email is intended only for the recipient above and may contain
confidential and privileged information. If you received this email in
error please destroy it and indicate such by return email to me. Thank you.

On Thu, Oct 27, 2022, 10:41 AM Mike Drew via DeTomaso <