[DeTomaso] alternate transaxle

Corey Price coreyjprice at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 14:39:12 EDT 2022

Steve,

It's a Quaife and Steve Lisa runs it in his race car. I've been talking to Quaife about this, just considering the idea of replacing my ZF with one. They bolt up; Quaife says everything should be the same. Not quite true but all mounting holes I've seen from their drawings match a ZF.

The kicker: they don't make an inverted configuration standard for the Pantera due to a different ring and pinion requirement. Somehow I convinced them to make me one if I want it, and currently the exchange rate is favorable. Shipped, it's about $13,500 with the exchange rate. You have to use CV axles though or adapt your half shafts to the CV flange. Current wait times are 12 weeks or longer.

I haven't made the decision to buy the Quaife but the advantages are much improved shifting due to better synchros and a helical type differential similar to a Torsen in function. The disadvantages are lack of originality and a longer case/slightly heavier transaxle. Gearing overall is similar to and slightly wider than the Pantera with similar overall first but a taller fifth, though not as tall as a 0.62 fifth gear in a Pantera ZF. Ring and pinion is a 3.75.

Contact me or Steve Lisa directly for more info.

Corey.