[DeTomaso] Daytona update

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Mon Nov 7 21:42:47 EST 2022

Just some observations by a now-too-old wanna-be racer, Steve. But it seemed like EVERY time Ford tried to 'improve' on the ZF in the old GT-40 days, their experience was the same as yours. They spent hundreds of thousands of $ needlessly with their "fixes" from the best of Ford Engineering, that invariably broke, blew up or otherwise malfunctioned, in multiple years of pro road racing with the GT-40s. The last failure may have killed Ken Miles- still controversy there.

Ford Engineering even questioned the quality of steel used in ZF gears. ZF sent them some gears and a mainshaft for analysis. Ford tested them repeatedly to SAE specs and found that ZF's steel was BETTER than the stuff Ford was currently using in their NASCAR and NHRA top loader trannys. That part is in published Ford papers in POCA's Archives.

As for the rest, a member -Jr Wilson- ran a production ZF in a Pantera behind a bored & stroked 427 Fontana, then finally a 548-inch Boss 429 that was estimated to deliver over 850 bhp, with god-knows how much torque. The only ZF failure Jr had in a 5 yr period of contesting many SS events was in a Silver State race, when he 'got air' at over 200 mph while not letting off the throttle. He never was good at slowing down.... On landing still at full throttle, the shock snapped the mainshaft in the necked down area behind the clutch splines. I think Lloyd Butfoy warranteed the part....  Jr is still around in Salinas, CA.  I wouldn't spend much more effort with Quaife out of your own pocket. IMHO you've done enough unpaid development work for them. Best of luck- J DeRyke