[DeTomaso] 3 Wire ALT REWIRE Instructions/Help!?

Steve Liebenow steven.liebenow at att.net
Sun Mar 27 20:25:44 EDT 2022

Hey all!
Ready to go about installing firewall bump reduction, and need some help with prior alt wiring.
My 74 came to me with a late model Ford 3G(?) 3 wire alternator installed, and a messed up glob of wires at the alt area on the rear of the firewall behind the passenger seat.   I "reduced the mess" to acceptable but paid no heed to "what is correct".  Presumed that it was connected properly.....    Car runs, battery charges, alt gauge flutters sometimes......  I want to confirm that the load sensing is being done properly.

Then I read an article which Mike D sent me from MAD enterprises with a great explanation about why we want to use a 3 wire alt, (with onboard regulator), vs a real life "1-wire" alternator which really is only good for something like a tractor or a remote generator where there are NO accessories.

The article explains remote sensing and how it is important to under stand "where" to connect wires to that alternator is given a realistic reading of "load".   Typically this would be more of a common point in the main feed harness that is some distance away from the alternator.   You could sense directly at the alternator, or even the battery, but that isn't preferred either way.
So I looked at the wiring diagrams and see a junction #1 on SOBills excellent adventure in electrical diagrams, but no idea exactly where this is!    The of course we have two distribution panels of sorts, left of dash and right of dash.  Who's on first!
SO, main alt out wire connects normally to large wire which heads off somewhere.....fuse panels and ign switch.   Remote sensing wire connects to "a point far far away" (but not sure which lead this is on my late model Ford 3G(?) alternator......and then there is one more terminal that I have no idea what/where it goes.... perhaps an exciter voltage to turn on alt??    That takes care of the three alt wires, but that doesn't help with what appears to be an old 4th wire that feeds the dash bulb indicator......
I believe that Hall sold this alt years back, but I found no paperwork with it in the PO's records.... No idea who installed it either.......so kinda stuck!
The GM type 3 wire alt is also lacking clear instructions, in the instructions......so no help there with the reduction kit.  ( Small amount of work needed here.....)   It really appears to have been written early on for directly using original alternator.....but some crossed wires with the late model application, which falls short of calling out connections at all.
Anyone running 3G alt that can comment??????
Thanks in advance!Steve