[DeTomaso] Pantera shift linkage modification

dan dan at excaliburre.com
Fri Mar 25 03:25:54 EDT 2022

I'm going to first try a smaller outside diameter U joint with an inset set screw.

I believe there are some manufacturers.

Next, try raising the shift rods and using a lateral rod support/heim joint connected to the rear of the head or the bellhousing.

This would also make for a level rod assembly, rather than the current down/up which feels like it would create cleaner shifting geometry.

Also, anchoring to the engine / transaxle should reduce the flex on torque, turns and hole-shots, which is how I prefer to drive a Pantera.

Next, if necessary, taking one inch off the front shift rod and getting a longer middle rod (unless I get lucky and have enough adjustmentent at the turnbuckle).

This would be great because the U joint would stop 1/2" before hitting the engine bay.

Or maybe all three?

Dan