[DeTomaso] Pantera shift linkage modification

dan dan at excaliburre.com
Thu Mar 24 01:26:31 EDT 2022

I have a tricky situation with the shift linkage on "The Beast".

Shifting into 3rd the U joint bolt hits the side of the engine bay and keeps
knocking it out of adjustment.

I can't move it to the right because going into 2nd and 4th the shifter rod
hits the bellhousing.

I have to fight to get into any of those gears.

This is likely because of the modifications made to convert to the SBC.

I'm going to try and raise the shift rod about six inches to get into a
wider gap.

I'd have to move the eyebolt from the frame to a connection point on either
the bellhousing or the back of the cylinder head. I wonder if anyone has
tried this before?

It seems to make sense having the shift rod anchored to the engine since the
flexing under torque in a racecar moves the engine, which the transaxle is
obviously attached to, so the shift linkage would move with the engine and
transaxle.

Also, this would keep the shift rod level between the shifter and the
transaxle, rather than dipping down to the frame, and then back upwards to
the transaxle.

Make sense?

Dan