[DeTomaso] Playboy Pantera for Auction on BaT

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 17:39:39 EDT 2022

> Would that be a Windland?

That would work.

> Where did he get a 351W intake for a 9.2" deck block?

I can't quite read the part number but it appears to be an Edelbrock 2980
or 2929 Super Victor meant for a 9.2" deck SVO type (351W with 351C mains
and deck height) race block.  The lower deck height was popular for circle
track applications as it lowered the cg relative to a 9.5" deck.  I don't
think they are available from Edelbrock any longer.  Ford may have also
sold a version.

> Solid roller camshaft - CompCams 32-771-9.  Is that really a street
roller?

Not technically.  Comp's street solid (and hydraulic) rollers are ground on
-8 SADI (selectively austempered ductile iron) cam cores.  -9 part numbers
indicate an 8620 steel cam core for more aggressive solid roller lobe
profiles.  I once tried to have hydraulic roller lobes ground on a -9
core.  The steel cores they use are rough machined for race solid roller
lobes and grinding milder hydraulic roller lobes will cut through the cam
heat treat.

> Nice to see you at the recent Fun Rally in AZ, after so many years.

Nice seeing you again too.

> One of the Nor-Cal guys had his OEM Cleveland bored 0.040"-over some
years ago.

At the Fun Rally in AZ, I showed a lifter that had worn a 1/4".  There were
4 more like it and a cam missing lobes in that particular 351C.  The lifter
and cam iron that circulated through the oiling system wiped out the
bearings (all showing copper down the centerline).  It had 10K miles on a
rebuild and was bored 0.030" and ended up failing the sonic test.

Dan Jones