[DeTomaso] Playboy Pantera for Auction on BaT

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Tue Jun 21 16:57:27 EDT 2022

Hi, Dan. Nice to see you at the recent Fun Rally in AZ, after so many years. I can verify the value of sonic-testing EVERY 351-C block before an overhaul.  The rest of you guys, listen up-
One of the Nor-Cal guys had his OEM Cleveland bored 0.040"-over some years ago. The fully rebuilt engine had extremely high oil use from day-1 and after waiting for the engine to break-in, called me about it at 1200 miles with no improvement. After a bit of back-and-forth followed by engine removal and tear-down, he found the non-sonic-tested block had such thin, flexible cylinder walls, the new rings were skipping over bulges in the walls- hence the poor ring seal and high oil use.  So his OEM block was scrapped. Too bad since he had bought the early Pantera new in '71....Cheers- J DeRyke