[DeTomaso] Correct amount of oil for an Armando 10 qt pan.

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 21 18:31:30 EDT 2022

First of all, I wholeheartedly agree with what Larry Finch and Mike Drew have posted.  The correct oil level is relative to the crank, and that doesn't change, regardless of the capacity of your oil pan.
But I recall an old post from John Schartz at AVIAID who described the procedure for determining the FULL and LOW marks when using an Aviaid or Armando pan.  I couldn't find the original post on the new/current mail list server, but here's a reference to it in 2012.

http://server.detomasolist.com/pipermail/detomaso/2012-March/077760.html

John Schartz...

How to determine Aviad & Armando Oil Pan Capacity, from John Schartz at AVIAID Oil Systems.

To settle it for all of you that have bought an Armando pan, when AVIAID designed that pan the static oil capacity of the pan was set at 9qt.   That fills the pan to the underside of the hard tray that is bolted in on top of the pickup box assembly in the pan.   Our instructions for actual capacity determination are to fill an empty pan, installed on the engine in a car sitting on flat ground, with 8qts. of oil. Mark your dipstick. Add one additional quart, and mark the stick again.   This is full. The first mark is the low mark. This should be only about 3/8" given the sump area of the pan.

Start the engine, letting oil circulate and fill the engine, filter and any cooler or lines that may be part of the system. Shut the engine off, and add back to the top mark. This will be system capacity.

Depending on engine and operating conditions the ideal level can vary. Ideal oil level is a point between fluctuating oil pressure and excess carry over of oil out of the engine venting system.   If the engine tends to trap oil up in the engine, it will like an extra 1/2 quart.   If the engine returns oil well, it might like 1/2 quart low.   Experience will tell.

John Schwarz   AVIAID Oil Systems