[DeTomaso] advice needed

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Sun Jul 3 00:39:09 EDT 2022

Hi folks,

My rear deck pistons wouldn't keep my rear decklid up, so I bought new ones I found listed in some POCA information cross-referencing ones which would work.  They are for a BMW and work great; in fact, they are a little on the powerful side, so I've been careful closing the decklid because I don't want to cause any strain to the attachment points.

I noticed today the top of the decklid is too close to the roof and has chipped the brand-new paint on the top edge of the decklid.

This is very frustrating, and I'm not sure if the new pistons are to blame, but regardless, I need to know how I can adjust the decklid so it won't continue chipping the paint.  Can I loosen the three bolds holding the hinge on the offending side and move the hinge forward just a tiny bit?  In other words, are the holes in the hinge keyhole shaped to allow for minor adjustments?

I don't want to do something which might make the situation worse.

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Chris