[DeTomaso] REPLACMENT CARB ?

Mike Drew mikeldrew at aol.com
Tue Jan 25 19:19:22 EST 2022

Will wrote:

(Snip)

Some PNs:

Manual Choke 650DP    0-4777C

>>>This is the factory carb that De Tomaso used on the European GTS, and later GT5 etc. on stock or mildly modified 351C engines.

Here is the same carb with electric choke:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-0-4777ce

Assuming you are replacing your stock intake at the same time, the Edelbrock Performer is the one 99% of Pantera owners are using and it works great:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2665

They are expensive new, but frequently available used on eBay at a deep discount.

This exact combo is what my wife has in her Pantera, which has a stock 1971 high compression engine fitted with a mild cam and no other substantive modifications. It makes 377 HP and 390 ft lbs (thank you Dan Jones!). Your weaker L-model base engine won’t allow numbers like that but you should see improved driveability and increased power with the 650 carb.

A 750 is way too much for a stock motor. It will likely be wasteful of gas, and feel fat and boggy at normal road use RPM. A 600 would likely feel really snappy but run out of breath higher up. 650 seems to be the best compromise for your engine spec.

Mike

Sent from my iPad