[DeTomaso] 1994 “cooling fix kit”

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Wed Jan 5 14:52:14 EST 2022

FWIW, I've been running the "Dennis fix" (Didn't realize it was called that. It was commonly done in the '70s on Clevelands) since 1990 on our modified Pantera with 80,000 trouble-free miles. By closing off the coolant recirculation passage in the block, it lengthens warm-up time a fraction in cold weather and blocks small air bubbles in coolant from dissapating. Period. No other negatives on our car. Using the same 1990 Weiand no-passage water pump, too.

Also have the exhaust heat passage under the carb blocked off at the intake and the choke stove plumbing around #8 exhaust tube deleted with the stock air cleaner. Again, all since the last century and no problems. The loss of those three warm up features may extend engine warmup by a whole 1.5 minutes in freezing weather and allows maybe 5 more horses to the rear wheels. Mileage is still 19 - 22/gallon @ 100 mph with a 'tuner' double pumper Holley & a cam.  Sorry, CA.
J DeRyke in NV