[DeTomaso] FW: WHAT IS THE TORQUE FOR WHEEL LUG NUTS

byrdjf at embarqmail.com byrdjf at embarqmail.com
Sun Feb 27 15:15:35 EST 2022

Ooops

-----Original Message-----
From: byrdjf at embarqmail.com <byrdjf at embarqmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2022 3:15 PM
To: 'Pantdino' <pantdino at aol.com>
Subject: RE: [DeTomaso] WHAT IS THE TORQUE FOR WHEEL LUG NUTS

Going off memories decades ago, but the use of lubricant allowed the same bolt loading (compressive stretch) with significant reduces "torque".
Anti-sieze was very effective and seem to recall reducing required torque over 50%.    Something like thin oil not as much.   Given the lubricant varied torque to loading so differently, using only torque was rarely used for critical bolting

Besides allowing the bolt to achieve a high loading with reduced torque, that also means the "breaking" torque to back off is lower.   I am "assuming" having a greater backing off torque would be as important to the clamping loading.

That said, every removal, I wire brush threads and run tap/die over, and the contacting faces.  For my tractor, a little never-sieze.   For my car/truck. . . dry