[DeTomaso] Dropped Battery Solution for 6328

Mike & Elizabeth mbefthomas2 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 17:17:50 EST 2022

I thought I'd share what Doug Braun and I have come up with as a solution to
a dropped battery for 6328 and 5505.  We decided to go with more of an open
design using 1 1/4" x 1/8" angle iron.  The battery mock-up in the pics is
of an Optima Yellow Top.  The pieces underneath held in place with the
C-clamps will be welded to the rest of the battery frame, then the assembly
will be bolted to the frame through those pieces with Rivnuts so it is
removable to R&R the steering rack.  There will be threaded tabs of angle
iron at each end of the inner battery tray for a tie down strap and an
additional piece of flat 2" iron under the battery to provide added support.
A removable cover will be made to follow the contour of the trunk floor and
the cables will all be run under the trunk to be out of sight.  We'll weld a
ground stud into the trunk out of the way in the back right corner and run a
positive line from the battery to that location so I can hardwire a
connector/bung for a Ford Motorsports battery tender.  That would also be
where the car could be jumped if needed.

Mike Thomas
Panteras Northwest