[DeTomaso] Update on Distributor Pin issue, plus Rally and Laguna

Steve Lisa stevelisa at patentit.com
Tue Feb 15 16:44:18 EST 2022

All,

I continue to forward these emails to Tony and KC.  They are getting a kick
out of the "intensity" and free expression of opinion among the
list/group.

First, this motor was built with no expense spared by SRE engines of
Tuscon.  He also did our most recent NASCAR motor.  We are in communication
with SRE, who believe it or not, has a full one-year warranty/guarantee on
our race motor.  *See* https://sre-engines.com/.  We won't do anything
without his approval so as to make sure we don't screw up the warranty.

So far, here is what I have been told, but KC and Tony are in charge, so I
may get it wrong:

   - The MSD distributor had an oversized MSD pin, using a 3/16" chevy pin
   instead of the small 1/8" ford pin.   We have since ordered a package of
   the larger multi-layer pins to replace what was in there.  Because SRE used
   an MSD pin (albeit a larger one), he is now wondering if MSD has a run of
   bad pins or bought cheap pins.  Anyway, we ordered the larger hardened
   replacement pins, the stronger grade of the two that McMaster-Carr offers.
   We will see what shows up.
   - The oil pump appears to be fine, as oil pressure was good throughout
   the weekend including after it jumped timing.  It is definitely not locked
   up and it can be drill-spun easily.  We realize that is not definitive.
   - Our screen on the pickup is very fine, thankfully.
   - We will cut the oil filter open and inspect it, as we do with every
   oil change.
   - We will be draining the oil and will send some samples out for
   analysis.  We will of course also look carefully for what is in the pan,
   including with our fancy micro-camera.
   - Our engine builder says he would never run a brass gear with a
   flat-tappet cam.
   - The compression test we did at the track was perfect, but the valve
   covers will be removed to check over everything regardless.

In short, we are going to look logically and carefully at everything we can
and take our time before pulling the engine.  We aren't racing until the
end of April.  We always have the option of pulling the motor, depending on
what we find and see, and sending it to Tucson for SRE to handle under its
warranty.

I will ask the guys what we are running for an oil pump and see if they can
send me some pictures of the gear/failure.

We will keep you all posted and let you know what we find from our various
inspections.

I very much appreciate your passion and advice.  So, thanks!

Regards,

Steven G. Lisa, Esq.
*The Law Offices of Lisa & Lesko, LLC*
Email: SteveLisa at PatentIt.com
Direct: 480-442-0297

www.PatentIt.com <http://www.patentit.com/>

*Scottsdale Office* | *P*: 480.535.6656  |  *F:* 480.535.6628  |  *A:* 7689
East Paradise Lane, Suite 2, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

*Chicago Office *|* P:* 312.752.4357  |  *F:* 312.896.5633  |  *A:* 55 E.
Monroe Street, Suite 3800, Chicago, IL 60603
This email is intended only for the recipient above and may contain
confidential and privileged information. If you received this email in
error please destroy it and indicate such by return email to me. Thank you.

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#m_-8797934687766055583_m_4950822553977604633_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 2:13 PM Sean Korb <spkorb at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been thinking about this a lot.  When I purchased my Pantera 20
> years ago the reason it had been sitting and not running for *years*
> with the previous owner was because of the distributor pin.  I
> replaced it and it ran fine but I was suspicious. I pulled the motor
> and after removing the oil pan my fears were confirmed.  Lots of
> little bits of valve seals sitting in the bottom.  If you do have a
> low mileage motor, it's really worth going through the motor, these
> parts age and fall into the pan and it's unpredictable what could
> happen.  They get filtered and it's not metallic, but the pump and pin
> are in danger.  There's also a possibility of nylon cam gears
> scattered about too. The manifolds and front cover and the heads were
> off so I cleaned everything out; I replaced the valves with1 piece
> units  and new valve seals. New timing set without the nylon gears
> (noisy but the motor is 4 inches from my head) and while I was at it,
> I checked the ZF ring gear, it was already safety wired (I think all
> the -1 were wired).
>
> I replaced the oil pump with a stock one, I knew it had been through a
> lot even though it was currently working fine.
>
> Anyway even if a Pantera isn't running, it's probably still a super
> awesome deal and though I like to say it's a $0.07 cent part to fix
> it, that's only technically true.  Same with any classic Ford.
>
> sean
>
> On 2/13/22, Daniel C Jones <daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >    The pin is rarely the issue.A  The cause is debris getting into the
> oil
> >    pump gears causing them to lock up momentarily.A  The stock oil
> >    pickups have a bypass hole and many aftermarket pickups have a
> >    coarse screen.A  Either can allow debris to make it to the pump.
> >    Ford switched to a full mesh screen on later 335 series engines
> >    (351C/351M/400).A  In street cars, debris is often from failing valve
> >    seals.
> >    Dan Jones
> >
> >      A  A Our motor builder was aware of the pin issue.AA  A So our MSD
> >      A  A distributor already hadA an oversized pin -- a 3/16" chevy pin
> >      instead
> >      A  A of the small 1/8" ford pin.AA  The builder used an MSD pin, so
> >      he is now
> >      A  A wondering if MSD had a run of bad pins and is concerned about
> >      another
> >      A  A engine he used one on (will be instructing theA customer to
> >      replace
> >      A  A it).AA  Anyway, we ordered hardened replacement pins, the
> >      stronger grade
> >      A  A of the two available grades of multi-layer Chevy pins made by
> >      A  A McMaster-Carr to replace what was in there.AA  A All else
> >      checked out
> >      A  A ok.A A
> >

> --
> Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com http://spkorb.org (est 1994)
> "Computers are useless.  They can only give you answers." -P. Picasso

> [...]
-------------- next part --------------
   All,A
   I continue to forward these emails to Tony and KC.A  They are getting a
   kick out of the "intensity" and free expressionA of opinion among the
   list/group.A  A
   First, this motor was built with no expense spared by SRE engines of
   Tuscon.A  He also did our most recent NASCAR motor.A  We are in
   communication with SRE, who believe it or not, has a full one-year
   warranty/guarantee on our race motor.A
   SeeA [1]https://sre-engines.com/.A  We won't do anything without his
   approval so as to make sure we don't screw up the warranty.
   So far, here is what I have been told, but KC and Tony are in charge,
   so I may get it wrong:
     * The MSD distributor had an oversized MSD pin, using a 3/16" chevy
       pin instead of the small 1/8" ford pin.A A A We have since ordered
       a package of the larger multi-layer pins to replace what was in
       there.A  Because SRE used an MSD pin (albeit a larger one), he is
       now wondering if MSD has a run of bad pins or bought cheap pins.A
       Anyway, we ordered the larger hardened replacement pins, the
       stronger grade of the two that McMaster-Carr offers.A  We will see
       what shows up.
     * The oil pump appears to be fine, as oil pressure was good
       throughout the weekend including after it jumped timing.A  It is
       definitely not locked up and it can be drill-spun easily.A  We
       realize that is not definitive.
     * Our screen on the pickup is very fine, thankfully. A
     * We will cut the oil filter open and inspect it, as we do with every
       oil change.A
     * We will be draining the oil and will send some samples out for
       analysis.A  We will of course also look carefully for what is in
       the pan, including with our fancy micro-camera.A  A
     * Our engineA builder says he would never run a brass gear with a
       flat-tappet cam.
     * The compression test we did at the trackA was perfect, but the
       valve covers will be removed to check over everything regardless.A

   In short, we are going to look logically and carefully at everything we
   can and take our time beforeA pulling the engine.A  We aren't racing
   until the end of April.A  We always have the option of pulling the
   motor, depending on what we find and see, and sending it to Tucson for
   SRE to handle under its warranty.A  A A
   I will ask the guys what we are running for anA oil pump and see if
   they can send me some pictures of the gear/failure.
   We will keep you all posted and let you know what we find from our
   various inspections.A
   I very much appreciate your passion and advice.A  So, thanks!A
   Regards,A
   Steven G. Lisa, Esq.
   The Law Offices of Lisa & Lesko, LLC
   Email: SteveLisa at PatentIt.comA
   Direct: 480-442-0297
   [2]www.PatentIt.com
   Scottsdale OfficeA |A P:A 480.535.6656A  |A A F:A 480.535.6628A
   |A A A:A 7689 East Paradise Lane, Suite 2, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

   Chicago OfficeA |A P: 312.752.4357A  |A  F: 312.896.5633A  |A  A: 55 E.
   Monroe Street, Suite 3800, Chicago, IL 60603
   This email is intended only for the recipient above and may contain
   confidential and privileged information. If you received this email in
   error please destroy it and indicate such by return email to me. Thank
   you.
     I've been thinking about this a lot.A  When I purchased my Pantera
     20
     years ago the reason it had been sitting and not running for *years*
     with the previous owner was because of the distributor pin.A  I
     replaced it and it ran fine but I was suspicious. I pulled the motor
     and after removing the oil pan my fears were confirmed.A  Lots of
     little bits of valve seals sitting in the bottom.A  If you do have a
     low mileage motor, it's really worth going through the motor, these
     parts age and fall into the pan and it's unpredictable what could
     happen.A  They get filtered and it's not metallic, but the pump and
     pin
     are in danger.A  There's also a possibility of nylon cam gears
     scattered about too. The manifolds and front cover and the heads
     were
     off so I cleaned everything out; I replaced the valves with1 piece
     unitsA  and new valve seals. New timing set without the nylon gears
     (noisy but the motor is 4 inches from my head) and while I was at
     it,
     I checked the ZF ring gear, it was already safety wired (I think all
     the -1 were wired).
     I replaced the oil pump with a stock one, I knew it had been through
     lot even though it was currently working fine.
     Anyway even if a Pantera isn't running, it's probably still a super
     awesome deal and though I like to say it's a $0.07 cent part to fix
     it, that's only technically true.A  Same with any classic Ford.
     sean
     On 2/13/22, Daniel C Jones <[5]daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com> wrote:
     >A  A  The pin is rarely the issue.AA  The cause is debris getting
     into the oil
     >A  A  pump gears causing them to lock up momentarily.AA  The stock
     oil
     >A  A  pickups have a bypass hole and many aftermarket pickups have
     >A  A  coarse screen.AA  Either can allow debris to make it to the
     pump.
     >A  A  Ford switched to a full mesh screen on later 335 series
     engines
     >A  A  (351C/351M/400).AA  In street cars, debris is often from
     failing valve
     >A  A  seals.
     >A  A  Dan Jones
     >
     >A  A  A  AA  A Our motor builder was aware of the pin issue.AAA  A
     So our MSD
     >A  A  A  AA  A distributor already hadA an oversized pin -- a 3/16"
     chevy pin
     >A  A  A  instead
     >A  A  A  AA  A of the small 1/8" ford pin.AAA  The builder used an
     MSD pin, so
     >A  A  A  he is now
     >A  A  A  AA  A wondering if MSD had a run of bad pins and is
     concerned about
     >A  A  A  another
     >A  A  A  AA  A engine he used one on (will be instructing theA
     customer to
     >A  A  A  replace
     >A  A  A  AA  A it).AAA  Anyway, we ordered hardened replacement
     pins, the
     >A  A  A  stronger grade
     >A  A  A  AA  A of the two available grades of multi-layer Chevy
     pins made by
     >A  A  A  AA  A McMaster-Carr to replace what was in there.AAA  A
     All else

     --
     Sean Korb [6]spkorb at gmail.com [7]http://spkorb.org (est 1994)
     "Computers are useless.A  They can only give you answers." -P.
     etc.) use the links above.

   Visible links
   1. https://sre-engines.com/
   2. http://www.patentit.com/