[DeTomaso] The Dead Battery Dilemma

Dick Koch redcatman74 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 20:29:33 EDT 2021

>From a friend:

REALITY CHECK: At a neighborhood BBQ I was talking to a neighbor, a BC
Hydro Executive named Eric. I asked him how that renewable thing was doing.
He laughed, then got serious about it.

"If you really intend to adopt electric vehicles, you have to face certain
realities. For example, a home charging system for a Tesla requires 75 amp
service. The average house is equipped with 100 amp service. On our small
street (approximately 25 homes), the electrical infrastructure would be
unable to carry more than three houses with a single Tesla each. For even
half the homes to have electric vehicles, the system would be wildly
over-loaded.

"This is the elephant in the room with electric vehicles. Our residential
infrastructure cannot bear the load.
So, as our genius elected officials promote this nonsense, not only are we
being urged to buy these things and replace our reliable, cheap generating
systems with expensive new windmills and solar cells, but we will also have
to renovate our entire delivery system! This later "investment" will not be
revealed until we're so far down this dead end road that it will be
presented with an 'OOPS...!' and a shrug."

Eric test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors and he
writes, "For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25
miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine."

Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the
battery. So, the range including the 9-gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh
battery is approximately 270 miles.

It will take you 4.5 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours
to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a
typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20
mph.

According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kwh of electricity.
It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery. The cost for the
electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned, so I looked up what I
pay for electricity.

I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per
kwh. 16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery. $18.56 per
charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the
battery. Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine that
gets only 32 mpg. $3.19 per gallon divided by 32 Mpg = $0.10 per mile.

The gasoline powered car costs about $25,000 while the Volt costs $46,000
plus. So the Government wants us to pay twice as much for a car, that costs
more than seven times as much to run, and takes three times longer to drive
across the country.

WAKE UP NORTH AMERICA!!!!!!!

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021, 6:39 PM Mike Drew via DeTomaso <