[DeTomaso] 427 SOHC On BaT - Who wants to try dropping this in their Pantera . . . ?

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 19:08:30 EDT 2021

> Hmmm I wonder if that was a wedge or the SOHC?

I do recall seeing a Pantera for sale that had an ex-Lola 427 side oiler
with tunnel port heads and 2x4 barrel intake.  It also had a nitrous set
up.  At the time, I remember wondering if one could sell the tunnel port
engine, install a Cleveland and be way ahead on the $$$.  When NASCAR
wouldn't allow Ford to run the 427 SOHC, they switched to the tunnel port
heads until the Boss 429 was ready.  Ford also ran the tunnel ports in Can
Am until it was replaced by the Boss 429 based aluminum 494.  Ford also
built a 3 valve per cylinder aluminum 427 "Calliope" for LeMans, though it
wasn't FE based.  Rules changes that limited displacement ended its
development.

Dan Jones