[DeTomaso] Spare clutch

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sat Nov 27 15:51:58 EST 2021

Not exactly, but if you carefully install a long sheet metal screw in the upholstery kick-panel and pull the plastic panel sideways, further away from the accelerator pedal, there will be more area for your foot on the gas pedal.
And if your car has the later over-center linkage, it's all metal-on-metal links that no one has ever lubricated, so everything will be worn and a bit sloppy. This cuts down the amount of motion the clutch gets moved even if you mat the clutch pedal on each shift. Some owners have drilled out the links and installed bushings and hardened pins. In the bell housing there are two bushings or needle bearing pivots on the clutch cross-rod that the slave cylinder actually moves for the throwout bearing. Likely no one had ever lubed those areas either.
Have someone completely depress the clutch pedal while you reach down thru the big access hole in the bell housing with a flat feeler gauge, between the flywheel surface and the clutch disc. You'll be lucky to get 0.020" of free clearance. Thats all the clutch has to make your shifts cleanly even with all-proper adjustment & new parts.  Most Panteras have less. And the disc wobbles on the ZF mainshaft in operation so there's always some clutch drag while shifting. ANYTHING you can do to tighten all this stuff up will help.