[DeTomaso] Spare clutch

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sat Nov 27 15:18:10 EST 2021

There are a few things that influence how well a clutch operates: the thickness and adjustabilty of the pressure plate & disc, and the thickness of the ZF synchros. A possible 3rd thing is whether you completely depress the clutch pedal to the floor when shifting . Few owners do this. If you happen to try shifting too fast, the Pantera's long heavy linkage can be 'beaten' by quick-shifting, causing grinding.
The worlds best, most expensive clutch on a ZF with worn out synchros will not allow smooth shifting. So it may not be you, my friend- it may be your transmission. A clue (without disassembly) to how worn your synchros are is whether shifting into 4th or 5th is smooth. Usually, 2nd gear synchros are the most badly worn. Careful tweeks to the linkage often fixes things if the linkage is also worn. .