[DeTomaso] trailer width

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Thu Nov 18 15:42:00 EST 2021

FWIW- A significant point with trailers is whether the fender enclosures surrounding trailer wheels are external or internal. If they are internal, you just lost 18" or so on each side, often placed where the doors impact them. So trailer design plays a part. Some unfortunate owners have built internal ramps inside the trailer so low cars are elevated above inside fenders and car doors then function. But that changes the balance of the trailer and can make it top-heavy & hard to tie down the cargo... Open trailers do not protect the car and people have had pilferage and entire rigs stolen from motels, even if the tow ball is padlocked. One guy found evidence of a cutting torch being used on his locks. Covered trailers are less tempting and also allow safe loading of mid-engined cars backward for more tongue weight. In 42 years of Pantera ownership, I've NEVER needed a trailer although I have for other cars, fishing boats & motorcycles.