[DeTomaso] Intake carb base question.

Doug Braun doug351c at gmail.com
Sun May 9 23:55:05 EDT 2021

FWIW:

A tapered carb spacer works to level the carb but it works against you if you're trying to make a large air cleaner fit under the engine screen.

The techniques I've seen to level carb flange of the intake are:
     Fill the stud holes with JB weld, redrill and add heli-coils or
     Fill the stud holes via heli-arc, then re-drill and tap.

Also, you don't need to worry about leveling the intake if you convert to throttle body or port injection.
After all, it's the non-level float bowls of a carb that cause a flooding problem under hard braking; fuel injection avoids this problem and improves drive-ability.

Doug Braun
Blue 73L #5505