[DeTomaso] Intake gaskets

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Wed Mar 17 22:36:09 EDT 2021

Thanks, Dave.

Just a couple dozen shakedown miles so far. Car is missing bumpers, both deck lids, headlights, interior carpet and other miscellaneous items. Two wheels were slightly bent in the accident, so they need to be repaired at Stockton Wheel and then all four need to get polished and then four new tires mounted. Also then need to get the car somewhere for a four wheel alignment and want to put it on a chassis dynamometer to compare those readings to the engine dynamometer already done. Planning on taking it to a local shop for full paint correction followed by some clear vinyl chip guard on front end and rear quarter areas.

New 404 stroker Cleveland is very responsive, 454fwhp & 475 torque,SACC power steering is a dream. Vader window lifts tied into an alarm system with power locks and one touch windows and a new custom-by-Larry horizontal gauge panel with Kenwood touchscreen. All new HVAC system fully checks out but needs to be charged. Quite pleased with the fruits of my thousands of hours labor.

Right now though it seems my power valve has failed so I am awaiting gaskets and valves from Summit. Also as this thread indicates I have intake manifold issues.

Regarding the power valves in the holly avenger, Bob Oliver at Competition Carburetion, who blue printed the carb, tells me power valves are now regularly failing not because of backfires but because of the ethanol in the fuel we are forced to use. When I told him the engine had sat for about a year after the engine dynamometer testing he didn’t even hesitate to confirm my idle issue was power valve related.

If everything falls into place, yeah I know that’s kind of silly, but everything perhaps might fall together by the end of April.

I will definitely be attending Monterey this year. I will definitely be avoiding Subarus.

Larry