[DeTomaso] Classic Motorsports updated Pantera Buyers Guide

Mike Drew mikeldrew at aol.com
Tue Jun 22 19:02:35 EDT 2021

Yes, they really are magnificent to drive when well-sorted. Today Lori and I pulled the front rotors off her car to have them turned—not the face, but the outside diameter. The aftermarket Mustang rotors are just a tidge larger in diameter than the stock ones and it prevents the use of the stock brake pad anti-rattle springs. So the pads shift in the calipers and make a single ‘clunk’ when the brakes are applied. Annoying.

So we pulled the rotors off and I drove 20 minutes up the road to the home of a fellow Pantera owner who has almost a complete machine shop in his garage. We bolted the rotors to an old axle, chucked them up in a lathe and shrunk them to the stock diameter:

I could have taken the truck, or one of my Sciroccos, both of which would have offered AC. Instead I drove my Pantera, which was just delightful. Even though it was just a freeway drive, the road was empty and it was possible to cruise in comfort at 90-95 mph the whole way. Exactly the kind of motoring the car is intended for.

Today was a great Pantera day. A fun drive there and back, a little bit of nuts and bolts tinkering with Lori, and some great male bonding with a fellow Pantera owner. As a bonus, since he lives on a ranch he has his own firing range so after we were done with the rotors, we blew up a bunch of water-filled milk jugs with my S&W .44 Magnum.

Life is good!

Mike

Sent from my iPad