[DeTomaso] Stripped Heli coils in Fontana Block

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 13:52:15 EST 2021

I had a similar issue in some aluminum heads several years ago.  I talked to an engine builder that was supplying parts to me.  He turned me on to Rockmount solid inserts.  They work like helicoils, but they are solid - not a spring.

This was 3/8ths though, and not as critical as head studs.  You drill slightly larger than what’s required by helicoils.  The insert cuts the threads. There are different brands of solid inserts, and I’m sure you can get them in several sizes - maybe even custom.

My point is it is fixable, but talk to the pros.  If possible, have them do the repairs.

Sent from my iPhone